APLS Course students now have the opportunity to simultaneously renew their PALS
Provider status. The teaching and evaluation stations of the PALS course are now
incorporated into the curriculum of the recommended schedule for the 2-day APLS
As approved by the AHA Emergency Cardiac Care (ECC) Subcommittee on Pediatric Resuscitation,
AAP/AHA PALS course completion cards may be issued for APLS Courses that meet the
- At least one faculty member must be a PALS instructor.
- The course must be registered as a PALS Provider renewal course with an approved
AHA Training Center.
- The PALS instructor must administer the PALS post-test, grade the tests, remediate
according to PALS requirements, and submit the required roster to the AHA training
- The following components must be added to the recommended 2-day APLS Course Schedule
in order to qualify for PALS Renewal option:
- Review of the PALS Science Overview (25 minutes)
- Complete CPR Competency Testing (20 minutes)
- Resuscitation Team Concept DVD (20 minutes)
- PALS Core Case Testing with individual team leader practice in both Cardiac and
Respiratory/Shock (60 minutes)
Materials for the PALS Provider renewal (provider and instructors manuals, presentations,
and the written examination) can be purchased through an authorized AHA distributor.
Students who would like to participate in the PALS Provider renewal course must
have successfully completed the original PALS course within the past 2 years and
will need to supply their valid PALS card. In addition, students are encouraged
to read Textbook of Pediatric Advanced List Support in preparation for the PALS
Provider renewal course.